What You’ll Learn: About the History, Architecture, Culture and Various Communities that Are Woven Together to Form Manhattan
I wonder how many other cities in the world have as many walking tours as the Big Apple Does? Working on a post about interesting free self-guided walking tours around the U.S., I discovered all of these free self-guided tours covering New York City. Pick your favorite topic, and there’s probably a tour that covers it! So take a bite of the Big Apple with one of these tours:
- The New Amsterdam Trail takes in NYC’s Dutch Roots
- The New York Freedom Trail covers NY’s “hidden” revolutionary trail
- George Washington’s New York
- This Hallowed Ground: Slavery in New York
- Walking Tour of Grand Central Station
- Walking Tours of Central Park – 5 separate tours cover this Frederic Law Olmstead creation
- Columbia University Walking Tour – Cover the campus that is almost a city unto itself
- Walking Tour of New York’s Historic Flatiron District – covers from 21st Street to 28th Street in Midtown
- One “Short” Day in Midtown Manhattan Walking Tour – Be sure to wear comfortable shoes for this one!
- Public Art Walking Tours – 3 separate tours, done in audio
- Walking Tour of Lower Manhattan, including the World Trade Center site and some of the oldest parts of the city.
- On Safari in Manhattan: A Walking Tour for the Young and the Restless of Animal Sculptures from Battery Park to 155th St
- High Line Walking Tour – One of Manhattan’s newest parks in the chic district of Chelsea (print, podcast and mp3) (check out our photo post, “Hikin’ the High Line: NYC Park Elevates Nature and Architecture“)
- Lower East Side Walking Tour
- Lower East Side architectural Walking Tours (4 separate tours)
If you know of any other great walking tours of Manhattan, please contact me to let me know about them!
Interested in walking tours of other cities? Check out “Free Self-Guided Walking Tours of 20 Great U.S. Cities.”
Copyright 2012© Carol White Llewellyn. All rights reserved.